Frequently Asked Questions
There are few questions about dishwashing that we've yet to hear.
Here are some of the most common answered.
Does it matter what detergent I use?
Your detergent needs to complement the cleansing action of your dishwasher. Automatic dishwashing detergent is specially formulated to disperse food residue and greasy soiling, hold it in suspension, and remove it in the final rinse. It does all this while producing little or no suds.
For best results use the detergent recommended by the manufacturer of your machine.
Most put their name to Finish Quantum which is our most advanced formula containing 9 powerful cleaning actions including salt and rinse function.
In very hard water aeas we also recommend the use of seperate Salt and Rinse aid to protect your machine and achieve the best result.
Dishwasher manufacturers recommend Finish...
Do I need to add salt and rinse aid?
Rinse aid is required to
- Ensure spot-free, shiny dishes
- Assist the drying function
Salt is required to
- protect your machine from limescale
- soften the water for better cleaning
With multi-benefit tablets such as Finish Quantum and Finish All in One, rinse aid and salt functions are included. However, in very hard water areas we also recommend the use of seperate Salt and Rinse aid products to protect your machine and achieve the best result.
- Learn more at our Dishwashing Expert site
- More information on Finish Rinse Aid
- Watch this helpful video
How do I use Finish Dishwasher Cleaner?
- Make sure to NOT remove the cap and that your dishwasher is empty.
- Remove the sticker from the top of the bottle.
- Place the bottle upside down inside the silverware basket or in a secure position.
- Do not use any soap or dishwasher detergent.
- Close dishwasher door, then set dishwasher to the intensive high temperature wash clycle.
- Start dishwasher.
- After full cycle is complete and dishwasher is off, remove bottle and recycle.
- For optimal results, use once a month.
Watch this video on how to use Dishwasher Cleaner.
Watch our Dishwasher Cleaner TV Commercial.
How should I store my dishwashing detergent?
Your dishwashing detergent should be stored in a dry environment. If you are using powder, be careful to close the spout after each use to help keep the product dry (and to avoid spills!). Like all cleaning products, store your detergent out of the reach of children.
Do I need to pre-rinse my dishes before loading them into the dishwasher?
No need to! Pre-rinsing is a thing of the past. And although many British households do it, it’s time consuming and wasteful of precious resources.
Modern detergents such as Finish Quantum contain both bleach and enzymes and are recommended by dishwasher manufacturers for use without pre-rinsing.
Bleach fights tough stains like tea and coffee, and enzymes breakdown proteins and starches. All you have to do is scrape the larger pieces into the rubbish bin and load your dishwasher.
Visit dishwashingexpert.co.uk to read myths and facts about
What can I put into my dishwasher?
There are misconceptions about what can and can't be washed in a dishwasher.
For example, people think you can’t put things like frying pans, sharp knives, saucepans, or fine wine glasses inside a dishwasher. If the manufacturer says they’re dishwasher safe, you can!
Do I need to use a dishwasher cleaner?
You cannot get clean dishes in a dirty dishwasher. Using Finish dishwasher cleaner helps:
- Remove limescale and grease that can build up in your dishwasher over time
- Eliminate odor caused by build up in your dishwasher’s filter and freshen your machine
- Maintain the mechanical power of the sprayer arm
- the machine reach the optimal heating temperature
Watch this video on how to use Dishwasher Cleaner.
Watch our Dishwasher Cleaner TV Commercial
How do I load the dishwasher correctly?
When it comes to loading your dishwasher, there is a proper way to load your dishwasher to ensure that you get both amazing results and protection for your dishware, cookware, flatware and glasses. As always, you should always follow your manufacturer's recommendations when loading your dishwasher, but here are a few simple guidelines to follow:
- Before you put anything in the dishwasher, scrape off the large food particles and do not pre-rinse. Your dishwasher detergent’s job is to cling to food and help wash it away.
- With cutlery, make sure to avoid nesting so that water can rinse all surfaces. Since safety comes first, long/sharp knives should face downwards. With spoons and forks, mix it up!
- Load your large soiled dishes on the bottom rack of the dishwasher so they get good water flow. Be sure to load stemware and cups on an angle so water can run off the bottoms and dry properly. Always face stains towards the spray arms, and as long as pots and pans are dishwasher safe, they can be cleaned.
- If your dishwasher has an exposed heating element, plastics go in the top rack, but if it has a concealed heating element, plastics can go anywhere in the dishwasher. But be sure your plastic is dishwasher safe!
Watch our helpful video below on how to load and use your dishwasher properly. Visit our videos section for more Dishwashing Advice.